Tuesday 10 February 2015

In Goodness We Trust

Not long ago as I was walking home, having disembarked the bus (okay I'm stretching the use of disembark but I like the way it sounds) I was tapped on the shoulder by a young Asian woman. It was well into dusk and without my glasses I was struggling to see what she was trying to show me on her cell phone. As I fished my glasses out of my purse, she unfolded a typed letter.

My host family, she said, handing me the piece of paper. Stepping under a lamp standard amongst the foreign characters I could make out an address. How did you get here? I asked. She had approached from behind and I hadn't noticed her getting off the bus when I did. It was then I realized she couldn't speak nor comprehend much English.

Wow. There was no way I could leave this human being on a suburban sidewalk miles from where she should be. On the flip side, how could I present myself to be truthworthy enough to provide assistance to get her where she should be without completely freaking her out. What an interesting dualistic dilemma. Of course I had to help her.

I spoke loud and slow. My house is down here, I point. I'll google this address. You are very far from where you should be. I will take you there. The more I spoke the more panic arose in her face. I thought it might make her at ease if I laughed. But not too maniacally.

I brought her into the house, beamed on my Cadillac computer and with the miracle of Google maps found her host family's dwelling. A five minute drive away, I now find myself riding that fine line of cultural manners in my offering of a ride, in my black ghetto Ford pick-up no less, to the safety of her host family.

I remembered my experience trying to get to the Oakland airport a year ago and having to have complete trust in the intention of a stranger*. And seriously, shouldn't it be the norm?

                                    In Goodness We Trust

I delivered my lost human to the address and she was definitely most grateful. And I spent the evening really pleased with the 15 minute opportunity I was given to be an angel.

The next morning on the bus the driver went above and beyond to ensure a small human (around 8 or 9 years old) safely made it to the bus he should've gotten on, to the extent of involving the transit dispatch so the next driver was on the watch for the little guy. A passenger made a point of recognizing the driver's efforts. You could feel the kindness energy expand between all who shared the experience.

And that folks is where we're headed. The Fifth-Dimensional way of living, where we're aware of, compassionate towards, and in assistance to, one another.


Sweet Dreams

In God We Trust





No comments:

Post a Comment