Monday 22 July 2013

Kids Say the Darnedest Things...

In honour of my first born's 25th birthday today (he's always been regal) I'd like to share some of the darnedest things he said...


My Little Man 

We're cruising the aisles of the grocery store, my lil bit of heaven sitting happily in the seat of the shopping cart. I'm focused on selecting the week's supply of navel oranges when my son's perky 3-year-old voice boldly announces ... Mom, that man's gotta a big black head. Suppressing my laughter (as my immediate thought is what about the rest of him?), I bee-line to Cereal/Crackers/Snacks.

Oh, crap... No relief here. It's mascot day. A ginormous Tony the Tiger, holding a box of Frosted Flakes, is bearing down on us. My son looks, and promptly starts shrieking like a banshee. The cart is up on the sidewheels as I 180-it... Heading to the meat department I feel confident raw meat will diffuse any pent-up hilarity.

Jump ahead to age 4. We're camping and my lil sparky accompanies me in the washroom stall. Leery of the cleanliness I hover over the seat. As the trickle flows my son peers at the operation before him. Mom, he asks, do you have just a bum?

When being reprimanded by his father who had asked, What kind of a place do you think this is? my son's reply was Um, a place where you smoke cigars? No holding back. I burst into gales of laughter... It took awhile to figure that one out. Turns out he was recalling the story of Pinocchio on Pleasure Island...

Kindergarten. My cheery boy easily makes new friends and is proud to remember their names. One afternoon, while having our daily snack & chat, he tells me about a girl in his class. Her name is Jasmine he says. Then adds, but not the one in Aladdin...

I hold the sweetness of his innocence at the core of my heart.

Happy Birthday Sparky!


No comments:

Post a Comment